Playing outside and discovering the world of nature is part of growing up, or is it? Do children still push aside logs to see what’s crawling underneath? Are daisy chains part of playground life or some relic from the past?
Today, our children are spending more time indoors than outside and they are missing out on exploring the natural world around them. In fact, research found that 1 in 9 British children have not visited a beach, park or forest in twelve months, and on average, a British child only spends 4 hours a week playing in the great outdoors.
This is why Sudocrem set up the award-winning Play More campaign, an initiative which has won the support of BBC Chris Packham and has been designed to encourage parents and children to get back in touch with nature and explore the greatest playground on earth- the outdoors.
Sudocrem carried out a survey which asked 200 children between the ages of 4 to 8 years old to identify some of the creepy crawlies in Britain. The survey revealed that 9 out of 10 children (89%) were unable to recognise a butterfly even though there is an abundance of native British insects, with around 27,000 insect species calling the UK home. Moreover, 51% didn’t know what a Bumblebee looks like. And, surprisingly, 1 in 3 (29%) didn’t realise that bees make honey.
According to children’s TV presenter and naturalist, Chris Packham, who’s an ambassador for Play More, parents should be encouraging their children to get outside and explore the natural environment around them. “I was very fortunate when I was a child because I was encouraged to interact with the outdoors- looking under rocks and searching under logs and hedges to find creepy crawlies. If you just open your eyes, you’ll see that there is an incredible natural world out there waiting to be discovered”.
As part of the campaign, Play More are offering the chance for community nurseries across the country to win either support for Playground Regeneration or a mural painted by an award-winning artist.
They have also put together ‘My Little Adventure Packs’ which have been designed to get children outside and exploring the natural world around them. The kit includes:
- Play More t-shirt
- Play More sun hat
- Bug Pot
T o enter into the Play more ‘My Little Adventure Packs’ please se below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
*The administrator of this competition is Education for Everybody magazine ("administrator"). By participating in the competition, each Entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of Administrator, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Administrator is responsible for the collection, submission or processing of Entries and the overall administration of the competition. Entrants should look solely to Administrator with any questions, comments or problems related to the Competition. Administrator may be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org during the Promotion Period.
* This giveaway will close at 12.00am, 17th September 2018.
* The prize is the A Play more ‘My Little Adventure Pack’. The prize is non-transferable, non-refundable. There is no cash alternative.
* Open to UK residents aged 18 or over, excluding employees of the Administrator, the sponsor, their families and anyone else professionally connected with this promotion.
* There is one compulsory entry which requests that to enter the competition you answer a question based on the Play more ‘My Little Adventure Packs’ information. Additional entries are available.
* The prize winner will be asked to provide their email address so that contact can be made to arrange prize delivery, and their name and county be published in the next issue of the magazine
* By entering the competition, you grant the Administrator permission to add your details to the mailing list, share your email address and any other personally identifiable information with the other competition Entities for the purpose of administration and prize fulfillment, including use in a publicly available Winners list.
* Entries will only be accepted as instructed and any entrant that does not complete the qualifying requirements will be disqualified
* The winner will be chosen using the random entry selector built into the widget.
* The winners will be informed by email within 5 days of the closing date, and must respond within 5 days to claim their prize. If there is no response within the 5 days and new winner will be drawn at random.
*This prize draw is governed by English law and the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute arising in connection with it.